Re: Horn advice

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on April 15, 2003 at 14:31:04:

In Reply to: Horn advice posted by Tim Mayes on April 15, 2003 at 13:45:39:

Just an amateur me, but I have some experience seeking and (sometimes) attaining difficult goals.

I would look at auditions and see what sorts of horns are being used by the winners. Then find out what sort of horns those winners played in college. There's a lot to holding down an orchestra gig that can't be done on a grand orchestral-style tuba.

I think you'll be surprised to learn that most gig winners had 4/4 or 5/4 instruments in college, and many had instruments not in the super-premium price range. And I don't think anybody has won an orchestra gig playing only a 6/4 tuba.

If you are going to copy the greats, then copy them faithfully.

Granted, those folks would sound good on anything. But the point must be made: If you are going to win a rare and coveted orchestra gig, you have to be the kind of musician who can win on virtually any instrument. What will set you apart isn't what the instrument provides. If your teacher is any good, he or she will tell you the same thing (how's that for a provocative opinion?).

Rick "who'd hate to be asked to play the Bach Cello Suites for a college assignment on a BAT" Denney

Follow Ups: