Re: gigbags

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on April 17, 2003 at 16:51:58:

In Reply to: gigbags posted by MIke Davis on April 17, 2003 at 15:38:12:

I have a Pro-Tec bag that I'm using for the Holton, even though it will--barely--fit in my RB bag. I haven't decided which I prefer.

The Holton is a bit large for the RB (it's RB's grand orchestral bag). It fits, but the zipper is a bit stressed. The Pro-Tec bag is a bit large for the Holton--about five inches too long but otherwise fine. I think it was made for a rotary Kaiser tuba like a Miraphone 190. I'd call this one about even--neither is perfect.

I prefer the two big, three-dimensional pockets on the Pro-Tec. The RB pocket doesn't hold as much or as well. With the Pro-Tec, I can put potentially leaky stuff in a different pocket than the music. Advantage Pro-Tec

Both are side-loading, but the RB will open all the flat and the Pro-Tec's zipper doesn't cross the bell opening. Advantage RB, but only slightly--neither bothers me.

The Pro-Tec has a good shoulder strap and the RB doesn't. Advantage Pro-Tec (this and the pockets are the reason I keep using it.)

The padding on the RB is better, and the covering Cordura is thicker and stiffer. Advantage RB, though anybody who really depends on gig-bag padding is improving the retirement package of their favorite rapair guy.

Both have back-pack straps, but the Pro-Tec hangs too low and the horn bounces against the backs of my legs when I walk. I can run in the RB (yes, I've had to). This might be better if my Pro-Tec bag fitted better. Advantage RB.

The RB bag is crisper looking with the horn in it, sort of like the difference between a well-pressed well-tailored tux and my cheapie musician tux. Advantage RB, if that matters to you.

The interior of the Pro-Tec is black and doesn't show greasy smudges where slide grease, etc., rubs off. Advantage Pro-Tec.

I got the RB new and the Pro-Tec used, and paid about a third as much for the latter. Even new, the Pro-Tec is much cheaper. Advantage Pro-Tec.

Rick "who uses the RB for his York Master again" Denney

Follow Ups: