Performing Arts Institute

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gary Press on April 18, 2003 at 14:37:25:

As summer draws closer, I wanted to extend an invitation to all high school and middle school brass players to apply for the 2003 Performing Arts Institute.

PAI, as we call it, is located in Kingston, PA near the scenic Pocono Mountains. It is an intensive summer music, theatre and dance festival for students aged 12-18.

Students perform regularly in the orchestra, chamber orchestra, wind ensemble, choirs, jazz ensembles, chamber groups and recitals as well as recieving private instruction, music theory lessons and participating in masterclasses.

The performance schedule is loaded between concerts of the Symphony and Chamber Orchetras, Wind Ensemble, Choirs and chamber groups as well as student, counselor and faculty recitals. We also have a killer Faculty Brass Quintet recital planned this year that you won't want to miss!

Students last year came from all over the US and from as far away as Asia and the UK. Last year's orchestral repertoire included Respighi's Pines of Rome, Wagner's Prelude to Act I of Die Meistersinger, Brahms Symphony No. 1 and Shostakovich Symphony No. 5. Wind Ensemble rep included Persichetti's Symphony No. 6 and Chance's Incantation & Dance, to name just a couple.

Aside from the many musical advantages of attending PAI, it is a wonderful chance to interact with musicians on a personal level. First, you will be among many other extraordinarily talented students not only in rehearsals, but in the dormitories and through various non-music activities such as trips to amusement parks.

Our counselors are college music majors that act not only as counselors in the dorms, but also as mentors who perform alongside the students. And of course, you will also have daily contact with the faculty. All three groups come together and intermingle at mealtimes. This makes for a unique and personal interaction between students, couselors, faculty and administration.

We have recieved quite a few applications already, but plan to take 2-3 euphoniums and 4-5 tubas.

I encourage any interested young musicians to apply for admission to PAI. It will be a summer you will always remember fondly.

For more information, visit our website below or contact me personally.

Follow Ups: