Re: St. Petersburg? Poor Tuba Player HERE

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on April 19, 2003 at 17:09:57:

In Reply to: St. Petersburg? Poor Tuba Player HERE posted by Tim Engle on April 19, 2003 at 01:47:12:

I've played a couple of the St. Petes, and they are okay players. But there are real horror stories about their durability and physical quality. Why take that risk?

Back when you could get one for around $1000, they were a good deal for adults who knew what they were getting into and were willing to take the risk. But at $3000, they are priced no better than other, better options.

For that money, I'd find a VMI 2103 or one of its stencils in a heartbeat, if you want a new tuba. Similar configuration (four-rotary BBb 4/4 tuba), but better in every way. Or, as others have suggested, a used Miraphone, which usually goes for about $3000 in excellent used condition. I'd gladly take a used, old-style King 2341 over a St. Pete, for a grand less. And for a few hundred more, there are a bunch of options, including a new-style King. Even the Jupiter is more consistently constructed with much better availability of parts.

(Part of the reason parts are hard to get on St. Petes is that the valve mechanisms are improved after the fact by one of several upgraders, and also that the factory uses the beat-to-fit, paint-to-match quality control technique which means that many parts aren't nearly as interchangeable as they ought to be).

Rick "who buys ex-Soviet cameras but who doesn't recommend lightly to others" Denney

Follow Ups: