Re: Bass trb: Edwards? How good are they?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ken k on April 20, 2003 at 21:51:05:

In Reply to: Bass trb: Edwards? How good are they? posted by CJW on April 20, 2003 at 21:08:44:

If by calling it a "Hummer" you mean its good, I would agree. (I hate SUVs so I personally think Hummers are a joke.)

Edwards is the "custom" line of Getzen. The Getzen horns use some of the same parts as Edwards, but with Edwards there are many more choices in bell size, shape and guage, slide configuration, valve set up, brass type, etc. You can design your horn to get whatever sound you want whether it is the darker sound of a Bach or Yamaha or the brighter sound of a Conn or King, or anything in between.

I wouldn't say Getzen is crap. They never had much of a reputation for professional quality trombones, but if you haven't played a Getzen in the last 5 to 8 years you owe it to yourself to try them.

As was mentioned above (or is it below?) the Shires horns are a very fine custom line also, and may be a slight step above the Edwards in design and construction. I believe they are priced a bit higher also. It has been a few years since I have played a Shires. I checked them out when I was on the Bass bone market about 5 years ago. BTW, I bought an Edwards. For the price I thought the Edwards was a great deal.

ken k

Follow Ups: