Re: Professional Quintet

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex on April 23, 2003 at 15:50:54:

In Reply to: Professional Quintet posted by Howard on April 23, 2003 at 13:04:34:

warning: this will be difficult, I suspect, and hope you already know that.

try getting in touch with members and former members of the empire, canadian, st. louis american, chesnut, cinco de brasso etc quintets. many of these people are big names, but if you come up with thoughtful, logical questions and ask them in the right way, you might get a response.

also, check out "indivisible by 4" about the guineri string quartet. it's a great book. I think there is also a book called the "phillip jones story".

check out websites for "chamber music america" and "community concerts."

There was a grammophone magazine article last year about a spanish quintet which is really taking off. try to find this magazine (through university archives) and really REALLY read it. it shows how hard it is to do this and just how good and successful you have to be before a quintet can be the member's main jobs.

win some contests, big ones, if possible. go to the summer chamber music institutes. go to the mendez institute. get a group resume going!

most importantly: don't try to jump in before your group is very very comfortable with one another and your repertoire. practice all the time, learn and relearn your music. any student quintet at a half decent school can rehearse hard for a month and play a very good program. the difference between these groups and the pros is polish, confidence and experience.

no, I don't have a pro quintet, but I've had a few false starts and I've done a fair amount of reading. seriously, if you can get to talk with pilafian about the beginnings of empire, it will open your eyes. I heard him at the mendez institute 6 years ago, in a discussion with fred mills.

best of luck,
-Alex

Follow Ups: