Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fort Worth

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on April 23, 2003 at 21:53:42:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fort Worth posted by David on April 23, 2003 at 19:52:08:

In the business world where technical knowledge is critical (such as in engineering leadership roles), rarely will a high-end person be considered unless he or she is already known to those making the selection. I haven't gotten a job on the basis of my resume in 15 years, and the interviews in that time have been a formality. The people who hired me already knew me: They had seen me in committee meetings, conferences, on project teams, and so on.

In pure management, the only thing that counts is past performance, and the measures tend to be rather technical (in management terms). If the business world was like orchestras, the selection committess would be wasting two-thirds of their time listening to recent business-school grads talk about the information they received in school. They have information and a little knowledge, but the demands of the job require deep knowledge and considerable wisdom. (That's why I stay away from management as much as possible, heh, heh.)

The big problem is that there is no means of bringing young players up to orchestral positions, with the exception of rarities like the Chicago Civic Orchestra. If they can't win an audition straight out of school, they have to abandon the attempt to put food on the table doing something else.

Rick "who doesn't see much analogue between the business world and musician auditions" Denney

Follow Ups: