Re: neck pain when practicing MW 45S

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Josh Calkin on April 26, 2003 at 16:21:58:

In Reply to: neck pain when practicing MW 45S posted by Stefan on April 24, 2003 at 20:01:07:

Funny... I've had my 45S for about six months, and I too bought it to compliment a 2155.

I had a problem with my 45S causing pain in my left shoulder when I practiced for over an hour at any given time, though I have NEVER had a problem with the 2155.

I don't have that problem anymore, and two things may have fixed it:

-A VERY SLIGHT change in posture may have fixed it for me. I moved my left hand inward about three inches, and I grasp the main top bow of the instrument and wrap my thumb around the fourth valve slide that runs up the back side of the tuba. No pain since... it's strange how such a subtle change can mean such a big difference. Muscles can be funny that way.

-More likely than not, though, I'd say that I just finally got used to holding the thing. The 2155 is bottom heavy, that is to say, when you're seated, minimal effort is required to balance the instrument in your lap. The 45s, having FAR less tubing in the bottom of the horn and a pretty big bell for an F, is top heavy. It takes more work to keep it upright and so you use your shoulder and upper back muscles more than on the big horn. A stand will most likely not alleviate this, as you still have to keep the bell end up on your own, stand or no. In the end, I think my muscles, over time, have become better able to hold the tuba without a problem.

You may get lucky, as I was, and time will fix the problem. Sitting in front of a mirror may help to tell you if you're sitting at a weird angle or something. If not, you might want to bring your tuba to a choropractor and see if you're having posture issues that you can fix.

Hope this helps,

-J

Follow Ups: