Re: what to look for?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark Preece on April 27, 2003 at 03:23:43:

In Reply to: what to look for? posted by F or Eb Tuba on April 26, 2003 at 14:48:57:

I personally like the Eb Besson tubas over any F, and Besson over any other make. I can honestly say that I haven't found a single F tuba that plays in tune. Even with all the extra valves that can be added... the horns are just aweful for intonation. Period. There has been a discrepancy between F and Eb for a long time. Try looking in the archives for various arguments. The fact is that Eb tubas in general have been looked down upon for a long time. They were always concidered a "student's" instrument. However, the development of Eb tubas has really come a long way. I agree with the previous reply that it should be whatever is best for you... as long as it is a truely honest opinion on sound quality, texture, tuning etc. I just wanted to tell you not to stray from Eb tubas because of some inexperienced opinions. I would recomend the Besson BE 983. It is simply the best Eb tuba available! Just ask my friend Patrick Sheridan.

Follow Ups: