Re: Some advice needed

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rob on April 29, 2003 at 00:40:56:

In Reply to: Some advice needed posted by T.D. on April 28, 2003 at 22:47:51:

You may have only been seeking advice pertaining to summer practicing, but as
one does not often get the opportunity to impart broader advice at such a crucial stage, I will, despite my youth (being only halfway done my degree myself), take some of the good advice that has already been given and take it one step further:

In choosing to commit your life - or at least the next few years - to the study of music, you are about to embark upon an incredible journey. This journey is unique because although you will have many guides along the way, you alone can determine the road map. There are innumerable routes already laid out, depending on the choices you make now at the early stage of your career. One of these roads leads to success, whatever your ideal concept of 'success' may be. Follow that road. As long as you stay on track, you'll make it.

It's up to you to learn as much as you can from as many different sources as you can. Far too many university students coast through classes and party their weekends away. By all means party and have a good time, but also take the time to go to concerts, attend masterclasses, listen to recordings, take extra lessons with visiting players, explore the stacks in your music library, and absorb. Ultimately, you will discover which concepts work for you and build your own philosophy of playing and appreciating music. Be your own teacher, and be diligent.

In the practice room, set clear goals for yourself. Identify specific areas of your playing which need improvement and focus on eliminating those weaknesses, and if you ever hear yourself saying, "you know, I'm just about good enough for a professional job", then step back and re-evaluate your playing (hopefully with the help of your teacher), because allowing yourself to accept your playing level will stop it from improving. Even the finest musicians in the world are never completely satisfied with their playing.

Finally, music school can be tough on everyone, so try not to let stress get a handle on you. Keep up hobbies, take breaks every now and then, stay in shape and take care of your body. Good physical and mental health are essential if you want to last in the music business. In spite of the stress, a career in music can be very rewarding. Enjoy the artistic experience as much as you can, in every situation.

Good luck.

Rob

Follow Ups: