Re: suggested guidelines

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alexandra on April 29, 2003 at 17:55:51:

In Reply to: suggested guidelines posted by perfess'r on April 29, 2003 at 12:55:59:

So players like Pat Sheridan and Brian Bowman are the only people qualified to ask questions on this board? That makes SO much sense.

Besides my objections to your suggestion that a technical test can determine quality of musicianship, your elitist ideas go against what I always understood to be modern tuba philosophy. We're the musicians in the orchestra/band who are still sometimes viewed as unmusical oafs concerned only with playing loud and partying. Yeah, I'm exaggerating, but we don't need exclusion and snobbery in our own ranks. We should strive to better our musicianship, and a community like this can help us achieve that goal -- provided that players of all ages and skill levels have a forum in which to ask questions, discuss equipment, technique, and musicality, and exchange ideas about playing.

Maybe I'm a little young to be commenting on the current state of things, but if this isn't the way tubists view themselves now, I hope it is by the time I'm a professional.

Follow Ups: