Re: Re: Re: euph m/p search...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by 'fess'r on April 30, 2003 at 05:03:10:

In Reply to: Re: Re: euph m/p search... posted by How dare you........ on April 29, 2003 at 22:55:36:

I selected a reasonable, modest technical proficiency achievement that I was fairly certain that most anyone - regardless of so-called "talent" - could accomplish given interest in becoming a vital member of a musical ensemble at any level (middle school / high school / community band / whatever).

Given the never-ending typhoon of nonsense inquiries regarding the very last .0000000000001% of the last 0000000000001% of the last 0000000000001% of what makes an instrument sound and feel the way it does, I finally decided to poll the population:

"If we are going to mostly discuss nonsense, do we - individually/collectively - have the minimum technical proficiency to make valid observations regarding the 400th decimal point of an instrument's playing characteristics?"...

Today, unlike (not too long ago) around thirty years ago, we are bombarded with products-products-products with options-options-options. With all of these fine products and fascinating options, I don't hear the performance levels of middle school, high school, college, and (for that matter) community bands coming up along with the advancements in musical instrument technology. As a matter of fact (with obviously endless individual exceptions to this general observation) the performing level of most student/amateur ensembles seems to be quite stagnant. Though most of us consider ourselves financially "broke", in fact we are - overall - incredibly wealthy. The legions of people that consider tip-top level instruments for purchase has brought about complete shifts in manufacturers' production lines. Yet when all of these (truly) fabulous instruments are manufactured and in the hands of their consumers, what is being done with them? I only suggested - in a very mildly provocative way - that we use these amazing instruments more to their potential rather than constantly considering silly shortcuts that prove to be dead-ends.

...and my remark to you was meant in jest - as mostly was the post, until it revealed quite a bit more that I expected it to.

-NOT a real " 'fess'r", though I play one on the web

Follow Ups: