Re: Re: Re: Oklahoma Update

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on May 02, 2003 at 17:02:06:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Oklahoma Update posted by Rick Denney on April 30, 2003 at 22:52:00:

Upon reflection, it appears to me that my situation and Mr. Cox's was not the same. I was a regular employee, and Mr. Cox is a contract employee. In my circumstance, they told me that my positions wasn't needed, and thus I reasonably construed that whatever work I was doing wasn't needed. Mr. Cox, on the other hand, was told that his contract was not being renewed, which of course obligates him to continue performing his duties until the current contract comes to an end.

Different situations. The little bit of advice in my internym has to be tempered by Mr. Cox fulfilling his obligations. Of course, I am fully confident that Mr. Cox would not have done otherwise in any case.

I might add that I hate employment contracts just for this reason. If my employer is going to fire me, I want to know why, and I want to be warned first (in accordance with the employment policies of most companies--even in an at-will employment state, employers are subject to civil action if they do no follow their own rules).

Rick "who believes that academics make lousy employers in too many cases" Denney

Follow Ups: