questions regarding M. Weston and Zeiss

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Cheryl Drewes on August 08, 1999 at 18:49:33:

Hi. I recently put a M. Weston CC, serial. no.(?) 7724 C4245 on layaway, and am looking forward to taking it home. I've played the same BBb exclusively for 20 years, so making a judgement between the two was tricky. It came down to this: The M. Weston sounded a little richer harmonically, yet still dark; has four valves instead of three, and the higher key is valuable to me. (Both horns are rotary). My Bb looks like a Zeiss, and I've read recent postings regarding Zeiss. There are no identifying marks at all, really. I've checked everywhere. It playes easily; clock spring valves are a bit heavy, but ok; no lacquer anywhere; some dents, none terrible; needs a little solder work and a good cleaning. The questions: Does anyone know about the M. Weston? History, opinions, and quibbles welcome. Dare I ask the market value of the Bb, or is it a keeper, in some way complementary to the M. Weston? (Two horns may be too much of a luxury in my household.) I play in a quintet, and have interest in band.

Follow Ups: