Re: Re: 6/4 Holton mandrels

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bozo on August 13, 1999 at 02:14:51:

In Reply to: Re: 6/4 Holton mandrels posted by Skeptic on August 12, 1999 at 18:27:48:

I have to admit I took exception to the Bozo remark, but realize that, being an owner of six (yes 6) horns, clearly puts me into that catagory! This is the best of times to be a tuba player. In addition to the plethera of new horns available, there are craftsmen willing to rebuild and or modify some of the old greats. There is something out there for any budjet, and financing available so we can (if we make the sacrifice) afford the horn(s) of our dreams. As for bringing back the Holton, I doubt it would work. Joe's comment about quality speaks loudly. Besides, the horns of yesteryear which have survived are generally of higher quality than the bulk of those produced.

Now, regarding a later post about the # of available jobs. It not JUST about tools and a job. While many of us are happy to play on what we have, enough of us want and dream of the "Harley" of horns, even if just for a community orchestra. It's more personal than getting work. It's about acheiving personal excellence and satisfaction.

Follow Ups: