Re: Performance vs. Education

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rob Perelli-Minetti on August 26, 1999 at 09:03:43:

In Reply to: Performance vs. Education posted by John Visel on August 25, 1999 at 21:58:47:

Has anyone considered the possibility that people such as Messrs. Perantoni and Morris were doing a little weeding/self-selecting? The only people who, in my view, ought to consider a performance degree are those who REALLY want to perform and have the perseverance and the talent necessary for it to be a realistic possibility.

If a potential student (especially one whose audition one has not heard) backs off at the first hint that a performance degree is not the way to go, then perhaps that's not the person who should be pursuing a performance/conservatory type program.

Twenty years ago or so, there was a glut in the market for liberal arts PhDs, much as there now seems to be a glut of tuba performance majors. Professors who encourage anyone with the interest to invest their time and substantial financial resources in a field with limited opportunities without first determining both the ability and motivation of the student does no one any favors. That is as true in tuba performance as it was in history or english literature. Few of us who love to play have the level of talent and the level of motivation necessary to 'make it' in the music world. While I would never suggest flatly turning down a student whose motivation and commitment were phenomenal even if his or her talent did not seem to be at the highest level, I would not encourage students to be performance majors unless I was comfortable with their commitment, motivation and talent.

Follow Ups: