Re: Re: Re: King CC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sam Gnagey on August 29, 1999 at 14:14:17:

In Reply to: Re: Re: King CC posted by Charles on August 27, 1999 at 11:42:34:

I was at the UMI plant in Eastlake about three weeks ago and played on one of the 4 prototype horns that they have. I have put together my version of a King CC this summer and wanted to compare it with what they had developed. Their horn(and mine) is basically a CC version of the 2341 King using an old King large-throated Eb bell that was common on the big Eb horns from many makers early in this century. This is a great bell that gives the instrument wonderfully rich character and super projection. They have increased the bore size of the 4th valve slightly and added the option of a 5th rotor in the "right" place, after the main slide. They told me that horn will be available with an 18 or 20 inch bell.
I have been using my horn on almost everying that I played this summer except for the very large orchestral things I did with Indianapolis. That includes quintet, tuba-euph quartet, orchestra and band. I feel that it is a truly versitile instrument that most players will find very appealing.
I am sorry that they will be selling it under the Conn brand, because it is really a King in nature and design. I can remember when those two companies carried on a great rivalry with stong tuba and sousaphone player advocates in each camp of which my teacher, Bill Bell, was on the King side.

Follow Ups: