Re: Re: Re: Re: Various Tuba stuff...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by again on August 29, 1999 at 14:42:50:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Various Tuba stuff... posted by dp on August 29, 1999 at 11:44:13:

??? I think we digress. I was just using that as an example of playing a piece that would put extreme demands on an instrument, and having to select the "one" instrument out of a supposed "arsenal" of instruments (which few of us actually have access to) on which to perform the work. I'll not worry about "Pictures", unless I get hired to play it...

...I think if I actually was asked to play that piece, I would grab a big ol' tubby CC for most of it, and use my F, rather than a baritone, for the oxcart tune. (The baritone g# doesn't sound enough like a creaking out-of-round wooden wheel sound-effect. ;-)

As short as the Meistersinger Prelude is, I think it would be kind of weird, presentation-wise, to grab a big fat contrabass CC for the introduction and coda, but switch to an F for the central passages, and I know what Jay said about the "bass" (F) tuba to be correct. Meistersinger was an earlier work (pre-contrabass designations by Wagner) but most of those instruments were so wretched back then that I wasn't sure that it was a strong enough argument to throw in. After reading Jay's proper statement of it, indeed it was.

I hope the truck thing was an accident, and not one of your studio rivals! ;-)

Many wonderful concerts to you,

-Joe

Follow Ups: