Re: Air problem

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on September 01, 1999 at 10:13:05:

In Reply to: Air problem posted by Dan Bryce on August 31, 1999 at 22:06:18:

I would do the same thing a professional golfer does when he wants to change something in his swing. There are so many elements in a golf swing that it is impossible to focus on all of them during your swing (see the parallel with the tuba?). So what he will do is establish a set of markers at various points in the swing so he'll know that if he's made it to a given point, certain things have or haven't gone right. Much of habitual behavior is tied to sensory input. I would bet that you've established a series of markers in building your current bad habit. The key is to abandon those markers and use different markers that establish the correct habit. After that, it is simple repetition. I think your choice of mouthpiece work is a good one. Another technique you might employ is to develop a practice exercise that concentrates on exactly the problem you're having. That way, you can isolate the problem and develop the good technique markers I mentioned earlier. I know this sounds like a major mind game but music is mostly mental so maybe this is the right track. Good luck!

Follow Ups: