Re: Suggestions Please

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Barry Guerrero on August 02, 2000 at 22:38:39:

In Reply to: Suggestions Please posted by Nathan on August 02, 2000 at 06:00:47:

I've tried two different Besson 4v compensating CC's, and both had some pretty major tuning problems. I know that they make some that do play in tune, as the the guy in London Phil. played one for many years. I tried one from the WW&BW for which they were asking next to nothing, but it wouldn't have been worth fighting the intonation problems that it had, IMHO. It was also difficult to get a big sound out of it (for me, anyway), as it had the smaller British m.p. receiver. Of course, one could easily have the receiver changed, or the entire lead pipe for that matter. Does yours have the smaller British receiver? How's the intonation on it? Any serious dents?

I think that part of your problem is that not too many people are willing to take a chance on that 3 upright + 1 below valve combination. Ergonomically, those horns do take some getting used to. Personally, I'm looking to get away from that kind of valve setup, but $3000 is a fair price for any good CC. So, if you address some of the questions above and provide a photo, I might even change my mind about that.

Barry Guerrero

Follow Ups: