Re: Practicing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by james on August 10, 2000 at 00:10:48:

In Reply to: Practicing posted by Jens on August 09, 2000 at 15:49:48:

i just love to play. that's the biggest thing that motivates me. i spend very little on fundamentals because it makes me dread playing the horn. however, i do work on a piece in great detail because i want it to sound good and i like the piece i'm playing. if you hate doing fundamental exercises.....just find ways to enjoy the time you spend on them. i play a favorite "lyrical" piece (Bach arioso, or Vaughn Williams concerto 2nd mvt)to warm up instead of long tones or play licks out of a Marcello or Handel sonata in multiple keys instead of doing scale work. the Plog minatures take care of my chordal exercises,scales, and articulation. look for fundamentals in the pieces that you love to play. playing your horn should be fun and you should love it. if you don't......either learn to or find something else. i enjoy solo work because i get to choose what the performer plays for the day. approach everytime you pick up the horn as a performance situation. play the music you love on the instrument you love.

james

Follow Ups: