Re: Practicing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike Silvani on August 10, 2000 at 13:03:14:

In Reply to: Practicing posted by Jens on August 09, 2000 at 15:49:48:

Dear Jen and everyone,

As a tuba player for the last 9 years, I can agree with you on that "sometimes you don't feel like practicing." Over the years I have analyze my attitude towards playing and I now realize why this happens. Look at this statement "Music is our lives." This statement says alot for all of us. The times I don't want to practice is the times when classical music does not play a big role in my life. As a soon to be junior, music major in college next month, the summer is where i have the most time practicing.

Its for many reasons. One, most of us work, if not full time, part time. For me i work full time and leaves me barely any practice time. Also my summer job is far from related to music in anyway therefore i have no musical influence. Sure i still listen to my favorute classical tracks on the way to work and they inspire me but by the time i get to work the inspiration is gone and by the time i get home, it's time to hang out with friends. I hate the summer for this reason. Also, my tuba friends from school are not close so i have no one to play with in my free time.

I love playing tuba and i have for all my years playing it. When i get back to school I love to practice, whether its with my quintet, or playing in wind ensemble or orchestra, playing duets with a friend, or playing by myself. I love it because i am back in a life of music. The life i would love to have consistent, forever.

Hope this makes you feel better,
Mike

Follow Ups: