Re: Anyone tried this yet?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MW user on August 12, 2000 at 11:06:15:

In Reply to: Anyone tried this yet? posted by Mark in Ohio on August 12, 2000 at 02:07:54:

I have a Meinl Weston 37 (the Bill Bell model), which was designed by Mr. Bell himself to have a small bore of .689". While the leadpipe isn't the shortest I've ever seen I feel that it is substantially shorter than most rotary horns. It has WIERD tuning (the octaves are too far apart; there're 20 cents too many between low C and middle C), which can probably be attributed either to it's being handmade (in the 60's or 70's sometime) or this design. I must say that it plays quite dark and large (sounding more like an Amercan tuba than expected), but this is probably due mostly to its massive weight for its size, and the detatchable bell collar, both of which dampen vibration considerably. I don't know what comclusions you'll draw from this, but I believe this is the closest horn to the features you're describing. In my opinion, a horn of this fashion would probably have a great sound (assuming you're into dark), but would be impossible to tune.

Follow Ups: