some thoughts

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Neil MacQuarrie on August 13, 2000 at 18:34:47:

I just wanted to share this little story. A tangent off the recent practicing thread perhaps.

I decided since it was a nice evening to go out on the deck and play for an hour. I'd just relly started to get back into the swimng of practicing this week after taking much more time off than I should have. Anyhow, I was plugging throuhg some of the solo stuff in the back of the arban's book when the phone rang. I was half expecting a !Be quiet! phone call, instead, it was someone from up the road calling to say I sounded good. Perhaps they didn't have the best "seats" for listening, but it still felt good. Not long after, a neigbor came over to say hi as well. I was quite pleased.

Moral, or at least my point....Most, but not all "Practicing" is done with the horn infront of your face...learning new concepts can, I believe, be accellerated by simply visualizing/hearing (in your head) yourself doing them. I also think it's good to take a break now and then....let your chops recover, relax, and weaken some bad habits....you can still "think tuba."

Well....that's enough out of me I think...maybe I'm out in la la land...I dunno....

cheers

Neil

Follow Ups: