Re: all state tuba and finding college

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on August 14, 2000 at 10:32:16:

In Reply to: all state tuba and finding college posted by Pete Lako on August 11, 2000 at 22:53:57:

I think the way you would approach this might depend upon whether your son wants to major in music or not. If so, you need to focus in on how to get him into a really good music school, and there are numerous folks here who could help (I don't know Jay, but based on what I've seen of him I'd sure listen to what he has to say). But if he DOESN'T want to major in music, you might well find a smaller college with limited openings, but that wants to have a wind ensemble, orchestra, and basketball band, that would be willing to give him a free ride in return for his services (provided his academic ability meets their requirements as well). Such schools usually do not offer a music degree, or at least not a very prestigious one, but if his career goals lie elsewhere it might be worth talking to his guidance counselor at school to get the names of some schools that fit this description. Good luck to him, and to you!

Joe "My first daughter should be able to swing a vocalist scholarship" Baker

Follow Ups: