Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lost art form or evolution?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Guy on August 14, 2000 at 19:38:51:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lost art form or evolution? posted by Tim Murphy on August 14, 2000 at 15:52:40:

Well, no one put ME through etiquette class when I was in high school either, Tim.
Maybe that's why I am still not too troubled to call an asshole an asshole..........
but if/when I do it'll be based on more than a few words I read somewhere, believe me!

Here's some real food for thought, I know several people who were students of Mr. Jacobs, and they have told me something interesting. Apparently Mr. Jacobs never "told" students they "had" to get out and buy a new -or- different -or- CC -or- F tuba...in fact I understand that if he EVER mentioned equipment it was so "out-of-character" for him that they ALWAYS paid attention. That kind of thinking puts equipment in a perspective similar to yours, I think. I also think thats a valuable perspective to consider!

Mr. Chisham calls this BBS and the Internet "the great equalizer" where EVERYone is able to get an "equal say"...but should we merely settle for the lowest common denominator? OR is it more important to insist upon high standards for what is said...rather than low ones? Oh, and finally, as to anonymity? If you are paying attention, there's very little anonymity here...BUT YOU have to do the work to figure out some of the sources.

Sincerest regards,

A "never wore as much lacquer off a horn as was missing when I got it" Guy

Follow Ups: