Re: Re: Kleenex and Spit

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on August 17, 2000 at 14:27:09:

In Reply to: Re: Kleenex and Spit posted by Chuck on August 17, 2000 at 13:25:40:

Why do you think I was so envious? It wasn't just the Keefer.

The isolation point is well-taken. Sound studios with windows use two panes of glass, spaced several inches apart and one tilted so they are not parallel to damp vibration. I'm trying to figure out what's vibrating. Is is the joists, the floor deck above the joists, or the rim joist? The concrete is too massive to be an effective sound radiator. The loose bat insulation protecting the rim joist does little to slow down low frequencies.

If it's the deck, then cheapie bagasse drop-in ceiling tiles (stapled to the underside of the joists) will do the trick, probably. If it's the joists, then probably those tile need to be isolated from the joist, but the bottom of the joists are a tad low as it is and there's no room for a real drop ceiling. If it's just the rim joist, then ceiling tile material between the floor joists at a 45-degree angle to the rim joist will probably reflect enough sound away.

There are no doors or windows placed such that they are likely to be a problem. The sound in the front of the house is clearly coming from the basement. The rim joist seems the likeliest worst offender.

But I might want to consider some sort of damper material between the ceiling tile and the bottoms of the floor joists.

Rick "Isolated" Denney

Follow Ups: