Re: Re: Kleenex and Spit

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on August 17, 2000 at 15:44:26:

In Reply to: Re: Kleenex and Spit posted by Joe Baker on August 17, 2000 at 15:10:18:

No, it's not concrete block (I was on to that one right away). It's solid, poured concrete. Sure, it's elastic and rigid, but it's so heavy the resonant frequencies gotta be both very high and very low. I'll try the stethoscope trick to be sure. Part of the problem is that my listening can only be done with my fiancee playing, and that sound annoys me even more than the neighbors (she is not a tuba player).

The sound apparently emanates from the basement, even while standing in front of the house. That lets out the eaves, of which I have none, and the roofline is 20 feet up there anyway. That also lets out the furnace exhaust. The more I think about it with the help of this discussion, the more I think it's the rim joist. But covering the ceiling would also isolate the one HVAC duct that might be carrying sound into the first floor of the house.

The sewer! Now, there's a possibility I hadn't considered!

The only interior closet is two-feet square. Not quite big enough. The only walk-in closet that's big enough also faces the front of the house.

Like I said, Kleenex and spit. I never had this problem in my last house (in Texas) which was all brick.

Rick "Getting there" Denney

Follow Ups: