Re: Re: Re: Kleenex and Spit

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on August 21, 2000 at 11:42:10:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Kleenex and Spit posted by Paul R. Ogushwitz on August 21, 2000 at 09:00:12:

Paul,

I really do appreciate your suggestions. I have played my tuba in the vicinity of trees plenty, having performed outdoor gigs literally hundreds of times, and I know how much they can scatter the sound. But a vine-laden trellis does not a tree make, and the vine would have to be thick, and would have to cover all the radiating surfaces, to resemble a tree. Did you see Mark's description of the size required to disperse or redirect the sound? That's a big tree!

No problem in a forest. But my poor two-year-old Maples have a long way to go.

What you say about my two objectives leads me to believe that I must not have been clear. I do not want to absorb sound in my practice room. I want to contain it. I only want to attenuate what leaks out, not what is within. Sonex and all that other stuff is designed to reshape the frequency response and resonance of the inside of a room, not to minimize what escapes the room. I think that is the gist of Mark's pleadings in this thread, and it is something I understood, at least in principle, from the start.

The fewer the higher harmonics that escape my basement inner enclosure, the fewer have to be absorbed by the air as they cross the street. What I heard was a characteristic tuba sound, only slightly muffled. A lot of those higher harmonics are getting out of the house and across the street, or my ears are made of Jello (which is always a possibility).

And total soundproofing is not the objective. It is not a binary result. Anything I put in the path the sound takes will diminish it one way or the other, so long as I put in all the paths (the tricky bit). I just want to diminish it enough so that it isn't a problem.

I have played in radio station studios designed by my friend, and listened from the outside while others did likewise. I didn't like the sound inside, caused by all that Sonex, but the attenuation through the walls, while not total, was adequate.

Thanks, I think I've had the advice of several professional acousticians. Not that they've all agreed. But the discussion has helped me think through first principles. I was looking for a way to make incremental improvements--something cheap and quick now, something more comprehensive later.

Rick "Okay?" Denney

Follow Ups: