Re: King-UMI Model 2341Four-Valve Tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tuba-lew on August 22, 2000 at 22:25:00:

In Reply to: King-UMI Model 2341Four-Valve Tubas posted by Jim on August 22, 2000 at 21:53:18:

This was the tuba I bought when I got back into playing about 7 years ago after not having played since college nearly 20 years earlier. It was a good horn for me to get back up to speed on, but after a while I found it limiting. I found it to not be as free blowing a horn as many others that I have played. I recently switched to a Musica/Cervany rotary valve horn and my range has increased on both ends of the spectrum and I think my sound has improved. I also find my dynamic range has increased, that is I can play a real pianissimo and fortissimo, while with the King my range of volume was much narrower. How much of this is improvement in my playing and how much is the horn, I don't know.

On the other hand, I received many compliments from my section mates in several community bands regarding the sound which I had on the King, even if I didn't like it as much as on the new horn. They are also built like tanks, and stand up to a lot of abuse. That is one reason that they are very popular school horns. Both bells are good, but the only reason to use the "recording" bell is for a studio, or if you really need a directional sound. The price is also very reasonable, I would say that it is a good horn for the money. It really depends on your budget and how you intend to use the horn.

Follow Ups: