Re: York Eb tuba conversion to an Eb tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark in Ohio on August 23, 2000 at 17:19:14:

In Reply to: York Eb tuba conversion to an Eb tuba posted by Matt G on August 23, 2000 at 15:45:06:

Matt:

To clarify, you mean a conversion from 'right pointing' to a 'left pointing' bell, right?

I've been thinking about this as well-- just got a York BBb, 33" tall, 19.5" bell, 4 upright valves. If an overhaul is in order, this would prob. be a good time to simply reverse the helix of the main taper (post-valves to the bell) during re-assembly, if you're going to replace the whole valve section anyway. (...And remember to face the engraved side of the bell to the new front!)

Has anyone out there done this helix reversal with success? Any pitfalls to watch for that I am overlooking? Can the leadpipe (REAL short- ~13") be re-used (all the curves are going the wrong way), or is it better to just make a new leadpipe?

By the way, Matt, if yours is the York "Monster Eb" (your description matches such) it seems that my compact BBb is of almost identical proportions! see:

http://web.calstatela.edu/faculty/jswain/brass.yorkcont.htm

& click on the Monster Eb link to see the original catalogue pic of what I suspect is your tuba. I think that my horn and the Monster Eb use the same leadpipe, valves, bell, and maybe bottom bow. Is the bore through your Eb valve section about .660" or so? Although mine is a BBb, it matches the primary dimensions in this ad, except for the weight (mine's closer to 24 lbs) and longer valve slides, etc. than the Monster Eb.

Anyone out there know if my supposition is correct?

Mark "although it needs an overhaul, it already sounds like a York" Mazak

Follow Ups: