Re: Valve-venting redux

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on August 29, 2000 at 21:13:52:

In Reply to: Valve-venting redux posted by Rick Denney on August 29, 2000 at 12:59:32:

For what its worth, my Nirschl does not have vented valves. However, the only slide I need to move for intonation is the first valve slide and it is such a small amount that the venting isn't even an issue. Water collection is a different story. I have the exact same problem with my Nirschl and the only way I've found to deal with it, so far, is to tilt the horn to the side and pull the valve slides while holding down the appropriate valve. This was disconcerting at first but you quickly become accustomed to the procedure. Also, in a large ensemble setting, there are inevitably breaks during pieces where you set the horn down. During one of these, you could turn the horn so you have easy access to the front and perform the water drop without ever letting the audience see what's happening.

Others have recommended amato water keys as a solution. I would advise against this unless you can find bigger ones than I did. I bought a couple from Brasswind, the biggest ones they had, and had one installed on my Willson Eb which has these same problems as your York. The valve is too small to pass the water adequately. Using it to pass air, eliminating the need to simultaneously depress the valve, is something I haven't tried but I certainly will. I think that idea has the most promise of any I've heard so far.

My opinion for what its worth...

Follow Ups: