Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Practice Mutes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tubalew on August 31, 2000 at 14:20:21:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Practice Mutes posted by TM on August 30, 2000 at 19:42:06:

I have a silent brass which I bought because I have limited times when I can practice and a family who isn't very tolerant of my playing at midnight anywhere in the house (go figure). Whether it works depends upon what you want. It does significantly reduce the sound, to the point that when I practice in our spare bedroom it doesn't wake my daughter in the next room. The pickup seems to work well and I can hear my playing fairly well.

The downsides are that it is heavy and makes my horn VERY top heavy and it makes the horn very stuffy to play, which you would expect, but it makes it hard to work on sound quality when using it. As far as I can tell intonation isn't affected.

For me it was the best option because I didn't want to spend the money to build a soundproof practice room, and regular practice mutes didn't seem to cut as much of the sound. If I didn't have to use it, I wouldn't and I avoid using it whenever I can. But, having it allows me significantly more practice time so I found it worth it.

Your individual results may vary. I suggest going to a store and trying a practice mute and the silent brass if you are in a situation where you need to deal with this.

Follow Ups: