Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tyrell Method Book for Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on September 02, 2000 at 15:10:43:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tyrell Method Book for Tuba posted by Marc on September 02, 2000 at 10:39:15:

If I had to characterize the Rubank exercises, I'd call them overly simplistic. I guess there really isn't anything wrong with that per se, especially if the books are used for elementary and early junior high kids. But here in Florida, these books are used for HIGH SCHOOL all state auditions. I think that is absurd! In recent years, whomever makes these decisions has decided to incorporate Kopprasch and, this year for the first time, Rochut into the auditions. But for as long as I've been here (15 years) the Rubanks were used for all state tryouts. My teaching philosophy is such that I believe a student will respond to harder music if you have the guts to put it in front of them. After all, when you're going for the best kids, you don't want to give them the idea things are going to be easy. If you do, they won't take things seriously and they definitely won't work as hard as they would have preparing harder music. I think using the Rubank at the high school level encourages students to underachieve, at least those students who are serious.

But maybe its just my hangup. In Michigan when I was a student, the Tyrrell book was a junior high and early high school method book. Rubank was used by some at the elementary level. In any event, I run my studios that way and I think that Florida has the kind of "good student" numbers that we could be a great place for music study. In my view, all its going to take is a desire to start pushing our students.

My opinion for what its worth...

Follow Ups: