Re: Why tuba and not some other instrument?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Keith E. on August 02, 2001 at 17:15:32:

In Reply to: Why tuba and not some other instrument? posted by Les Smith on August 02, 2001 at 16:40:25:

I started on tuba (baritone for 1st year-reading tuba parts) in 5th grade. In high school, another tubist and I were the lead tubas for 3 years, challenging each other to improve constantly. I also picked up Bass Trombone as a senior to play in Jazz Band.

In college, I was a music major. While tuba was my primary instrument I also played trombone for a year in concert band (small college) and picked up the Euphonium. I loved playing tuba because I knew it is the most important instrument in the band. Without tubas, the band falls apart (drums lose the beat and everyone else is out of tune :). And because I was an instrumental music major, I learned every other instrument as well.

After college, I lost my way for about 6 years and didn't play much. Fortunately, when I moved to KC, I found a civic band (all volunteer) to play in. I have been playing there and in church ever since, just for fun. I picked up a Mirafone Euphonium a few years back to use for solos at church too. Recently, I started playing in a brass quintet, and I love it. It's great playing challenging music with other good players. I also have played at at least one TUBAChristmas for each of the last 15 years (and another 5 some years before that).

My next challenge is to find a good F Tuba for use in the quintet and sometimes for solo work. I have an Eb alto horn (tuba shaped) and a circa 1920 Holton Revelation A trombone (with Bb attachment, bad sounding instrument, but novel). I also play guitar and bass guitar. Still, I like the tuba the best. It is a beautiful, expressive instrument.

Follow Ups: