Re: Why tuba and not some other instrument?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenneth Sloan on August 02, 2001 at 17:38:03:

In Reply to: Why tuba and not some other instrument? posted by Les Smith on August 02, 2001 at 16:40:25:

In Elementary school, I can dimly recall "auditioning" for the local school music teacher. All I can remember is that we had a difference of opinion on what instrument would be best for me.

So...I started on piano, and sang in the church choir.

In 9th grade, there was another difference of opinion. My piano instructor wanted 3 hours/day of practice...and I didn't. I was singing in the school choir - but it was clear even to me that there wasn't a lot of talent there... As summer approached, I was offered a deal: carry a Sousaphone in the Marching Band and get free (free!, free!) tuition to summer band school. So - I first touched a Sousaphone in June, and was marching in September.

When I left college, I was still a Sousaphone player (definitely not a "tuba" player) and opportunities to play wer few and far between. After a few isolated events, I slipped into a 25 year hiatus. I've always managed to have a piano in the house, and periodically get back into the same shape I was in in 9th grade (typical kid stuff).

About 4 years ago, listening to my kids play in school band, I decided "if not now, when" - bought a horn, and started my "Arban renewal" project.

Follow Ups: