Re: Why tuba and not some other instrument?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on August 02, 2001 at 20:29:07:

In Reply to: Why tuba and not some other instrument? posted by Les Smith on August 02, 2001 at 16:40:25:

I guess my route to the tuba isn't too different from many others, but with one added twist - my older (by 5 yrs.) brother played tuba in the high school band. So when 5th grade rolled around, I went for the band classes. Besides, at my school you were required to take either band or chorus for both 5th and 6th grades (yes, it was a public school). And in the 5th grade, it is very important not to be thought a sissy, which the singers were according to the popular kids in the 6th grade who knew everything (they never heard Pavarotti). But I digress.

The band director at the time adamantly refused to start anybody on tuba, because he felt it was better to produce a good sound on a trumpet or trombone, then switch down. So I started on trombone, and did pretty well. There was another very good trombonist in the same grade as me, and we pushed each other very hard, and we were both in regional Jr. High honor bands on trombone. Obviously, our band director was a happy man at the time. At the end of my 8th grade year, the father of the only tuba in the high school band was transferred out of state, so the program needed a tuba. It was a mutual desire for the band director and me to make the switch. After I discovered how much fun it is, and how much I love the sound of the tuba, well, I didn't put the thing down until I got to college and discovered that there's more to life than the tuba. In the course of that time, the little high school band I played in (about 25 players) produced one all-state player on each of the trumpet, baritone, trombone, and tuba. Needless to say, we also cleaned up at state solo and ensemble contests, too.

After college distractions led me to believe I could ever be happy doing anything but playing the tuba, I didn't play a note for three years. This was after a long spiral of burnout and no practice. When I picked the horn up again, it was to see if I could still do it. And the quicker and further I progress, the more the feelings of not wanting to put it down come back.

Speaking of which...my mistress (as my wife calls my horn) beckons.

Steve

Follow Ups: