Re: KALISON tubas+leadpipes (new/old)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on August 02, 2001 at 21:36:22:

In Reply to: KALISON tubas+leadpipes (new/old) posted by just wondering... on August 02, 2001 at 20:58:15:

How could you ever figure out that anything about the TE was serious?

Back to main theme:

I have hardly ever been known to be against large receivers and leadpipes. The R&D department of this board even has reported to have the receiver of a York Master reamed out.

However I have some experiences with adapters of more or less legit designs. Because I for years have played my trumpets, cornets, and flugels through the largest Giardinelli French horn mouthpiece.

For trumpets and flugels one can get adapters. Cornets are more of a problem. Having friends in the local model train clup I entered a club evening of theirs. Got some very thin copper (or was it red brass?) sheet. Glowed it thoroughly by means of a simple lighter (is that annealing?).

Folded/rolled an adapter!

The thin and annealing factors are important, as thick and stiff metal sheets will cause your homemade adapter to be untight. Whistles and their sounds can be pleasant, but as in any other tuba relevant case there is no reason to follow the paths of a youthfullish Joe S.! (see a recent thread).

The effect you are out after is somewhat comparable to that of a venturifree, mouthpiceholder style large Bach bassbone. Try it out!

Klaus

Follow Ups: