Re: Re: Re: Conn 25J vs. 34J

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rob P-M on August 02, 2001 at 22:21:05:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Conn 25J vs. 34J posted by Lew on August 02, 2001 at 12:52:42:

Clearly, Conn used numbers more than once (look at the different descriptions for the various trumpet models at various times on the chart at
http://www.whc.net/rjones/connindex.html

My 1931 or 1932 Conn "New Wonder Sousaphones and Upright Basses" brochure shows a 36J as you describe it, with a 26" (!!!!!) recording bell. The description in my reply comes from a 1920's catalog of which I have a photocopy and from Lee Stauffer's book "A Treatise on the Tuba", in which he reproduces a copy of a Conn catalog showing the 34J BBb /36J CC numbering.

The same brocure mentions (but does not illustrate) what may have been the predcessor of the 22J, as the 80J -- describe as a one size smaller bore 3 front action (long) of the 36J which was described as the largest bore upright bass made by Conn. (Query whether the 48K Jumbo Sousaphone Grand had the same size or a larger bore?)

Curiously also, in the New Wonder brochure, there is listed (without illustration) a 26J as a "monster" 3 valve top action upright fixed bell horn.

26J in more recent times (after the mid-30's) would also be the (logical) designation of a 4 short action front valve version of the 22J.

23J was the upright bell version of 22J (i've seen that in catalog illustrations), 27J would be the logical 4 valve version with upright bell.

In the same old brochure, 2J was a 3 top action valve Eb "standard" upright fixed bell tuba, in modern times it was the first version of the small CC that was replaced by the 3J.

Follow Ups: