Re: Why tuba and not some other instrument?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Taj on August 02, 2001 at 23:39:52:

In Reply to: Why tuba and not some other instrument? posted by Les Smith on August 02, 2001 at 16:40:25:

I asked the high school band director (in 10th grade) what he needed most and he taught me the tuba. (Sousaphone actually) It was the coolest to do all of those swing turns on the field during half times and the swing steps in parades.

In U.S.Navy basic training it got me out of marching on the grinder all day with an old plugged up Springfield rifle and into an air conditioned band room. Every evening we marched to the base commander's quarters and played the flag down for the night. We were also the only company to get off base for parades or anything else during basic. (Viet Nam era)

It has been my greatest privilege to play under the direction of my high school band director (and his now grown up daughter - also a music teacher) in the Jeffco Community Band and the Jeffco Brass Ensemble, in Arvada, Colorado. My VMI is my answer to the "middle age crisis." I'm sure it cost more than a good bass boat, it's prettier than a Porche, sounds much better than a Harley, and is as much fun as my BMW R80/7. (Yes Klaus, I'm a fan of great German machinery.)
Taj

Follow Ups: