Re: KALISON tubas+leadpipes (new/old)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on August 03, 2001 at 17:32:32:

In Reply to: KALISON tubas+leadpipes (new/old) posted by just wondering... on August 02, 2001 at 20:58:15:

I think your best bet is to get a mouthpiece that fits the receiver you have. Conns have been supplied, I think, with several different sizes of shanks over the years, and if you have an older one it might be sized for "American" shanks rather than "European" shanks, whatever those tems really mean.

My York Master had a straight barrel--the factory had probably forgotten to ream the taper--and it was limited to a bass trombone shank (like an old Besson tuba). It amazes me that so many wonderful players in the history of that horn never noticed. But Doug Elliott noticed right off the bat, and he carefully reamed the proper taper. What a difference it made! Now I can use a mouthpiece with a large throat and still have a tapered back bore. So, you may ultimately regard the larger receiver as an advantage.

Rick "who suggests comparing the Conn shank with other standard mouthpieces" Denney

p.s. to Klaus... R&D? I giggled over that one for several reasons.

p.p.s. The Adjustible Gap Receiver has an adjustible gap, not an adjustible taper. It won't make the horn fit all mouthpieces, though it would give the horn a standard receiver taper.

Follow Ups: