Uses for a small F

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott on August 05, 2001 at 13:02:05:

I bought an Mirafone 180 F tuba from TE a week ago, and I'm still trying to figure out what to do with it. I bought it because I wanted to work on some of the lighter solo literature and sometimes my CC was too big for orchestra (go figure). Now that I'm playing it, though, I feel like the uses for my F and my euph (a Hirsbrunner standard) overlap too much. Since I'm not an F player (and unfortunately neither is my teacher), what do y'all use your little F's for?

And as a semi-related question, how many of you euph players who owns one tuba only own an F? I'm looking at what I'll use my tuba for in the next year, and a big F should do just fine (mostly solo/small ensemble work, and a medium-sized orchestra for which a YCB-661 was sometimes too big). I eventually want to be a tuba/euph professor someday, but if I go to grad school as a eupher, I probably won't need much more than a solo/quintet tuba, so a big F would do quite nicely. My school just bought a Meinl-Weston 45-SLP (I think), so I should know better what a big F can and can't do when I get to play it. No, I'm not going to make any decisions any time soon, but I would like some advice that I can mull over.

Thanks,
Scott

Follow Ups: