Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Best CC Tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on August 06, 2001 at 12:25:04:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Best CC Tubas posted by Chuck on August 06, 2001 at 09:21:04:

Yes, I have tried many of the rotary instruments Hirsbrunner makes. Back in college, I nearly bought one. I would say that overall I prefer Hirsbrunner's rotary instruments over their piston counterparts. But none of the rotary Hirsbrunners I've played could hold a candle to the HB-2P that a friend let me try once. His was a 4 piston (no 5th) instrument and it had an incredible sound and response. For me, every Hirsbrunner I have ever played had difficult notes in the low A, Ab, G, Gb area (just below low CC) just like you might find in the similar range on most Germanic F tubas. This one instrument did not and it was just a dream to play. Of course, I don't know if I would have liked this horn in the long term because of the lack of a 5th valve but playing the few excerpts I did on it was nothing short of pure pleasure. After playing his horn, I took the next opportunity I could to go back to Custom and try out several HB-2P's that they had in stock. None played anywhere near as well as my friend's horn. Nor has any HB-2P I've tried since played that well either. His was an exceptional tuba, plain and simple. I never found any of the rotary horns that came close to that HB-2P but, like I said, I prefer the rotary horns overall to the piston Hirsbrunners I've played. I find the rotary horns to be much more consistent, and I prefer the sound and valve action. Of course, none of them played as well for me as the other 4/4 CC tubas I listed which is why I didn't include them on my list. I will say this for Hirsbrunner tubas: when you hold one in your hands, you absolutely know that it is a quality piece of equipment. It just feels well made and looks the same. However, considering the costs and how they perform for me, I just can't see owning one myself. There are just too many other better choices for me.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: