Re: Feelings about the Jupiter 582S

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on August 06, 2001 at 14:38:30:

In Reply to: Feelings about the Jupiter 582S posted by Ricky Lopez on August 06, 2001 at 13:40:09:

I've play-tested a couple of the Jupiter tubas, and in general I think they are pretty good for the money. If you really want to limit yourself to a front-action piston tuba, then for under $3000 you don't have many choices. And if you want silver, then the Jupiter is your only choice.

For that sort of money, however, you can also get a used King 2341, though not in silver, or maybe a used VMI 3301 if you are lucky. I think the Jupiter stands up to these other choices pretty well.

You didn't say whether you would be studying tuba in college or whether you just want to have an instrument to play. If it's the former, then I would suggest deep discussions with your teacher about what kind of equipment you may need--a Jupiter probably won't be it. But if you are a hobbiest like me and just want a good horn to play after you can no longer borrow one from school, then I think the Jupiter could serve you well. But I would not ignore some of the excellent rotary-valve tubas in the same price range. Don't get too picky about the style and appearance of the horn you want if it limits your choices too much.

Rick "wondering if the Jupiter is the ONLY silver 4/4 front-action piston tuba in the budget category" Denney

Follow Ups: