Re: After School...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bruce H on August 07, 2001 at 13:12:39:

In Reply to: After School... posted by Former Student?? on August 07, 2001 at 11:07:56:

I am the guy that started that other thread. The comments have been interesting to read. By all means continue with your music performance education and graduate with a degree. You are getting a wonderful education but realize that you are getting a well rounded education that will prepare you to do many things. I was a music performance major in the 70's. I learned many things from my tuba instructor other than knowing how to play the tuba. Your teacher is an invaluable resource. Utilize him to the fullest while you still have the chance. Because of the one on one experience you have with your horn instructor that you probably don't have with your history instructor, for instance, you can develop a special bond, or friendship even, with that person. My teacher was brutally frank with me. He wanted me to know what I was facing in the future. I went to a Big 8 school and it had a large music department but the school was not known for music performance. In order to have any chance to play professionaly, I would have had to get an advanced performance degree from another school that had a nationally known tuba department. He also told me that to increase my chances of playing and getting studio jobs I should learn to play the string bass, bass guitar, and other low brass instruments. I did learn to play the string bass and bass guitar. He taught me to expand my horizons and see beyond my degree in tuba. I decided that I did not want to go the advanced degree route and in fact I got a degree in finance. I don't regret for one minute my music education. I play more now than I ever have.

Be prepared for any opportunity that might come your way after graduation. Know that you will have to get an advanced performance degree if you want any chance of playing for a professional orchestra. Know that you will have to work for your chance. Just because you have an undergraduate performance degree the world does not owe you any favors. There are hundreds of players out there looking for jobs that are just as good as you, if not a whole lot better. Are schools not telling kids this stuff now? Know that your school is only interested in your tuition money and your attendance so they can get increased state funding. Your school does not care what happens to you after you graduate. You are on your own.

What are your other interests? People that are musically inclined are also good at math and computer programming. You could be a mentor or teacher at a high school. What ever you do, keep playing your horn.

You will do good. You are already thinking ahead. I will you well in the future.

Bruce H

Follow Ups: