Re: After School...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck on August 07, 2001 at 15:40:56:

In Reply to: After School... posted by Former Student?? on August 07, 2001 at 11:07:56:

Hi Student,

I am currently in the situation to which you refer. I graduated from Biola University last year with a BM degree in Tuba Performance. At this point I am freelancing some but can't depend on it for rent so I am also working full time so I can get health coverage and all that. My job is flexible enough that I can take gigs when they come (sometimes often, sometimes not at all!) - but usually I work early in the day and practice in the afternoon/evening.

So, at this point I am basically working two jobs. Depending on where you live, you might be able to freelance when you get out of school. I know some people in LA who have recently graduated and can make rent on gigs and lessons. For tuba that is a little more difficult. And, it's a very stressful way to life. I also know people who are trying to play gigs who are 30 years old and still living with their parents. It depends on how you want to do things.

One word of advice for while you are in school - take every opportunity to play that you can. The way you will get work while in school and afterward is by word of mouth. Even if you want to take auditions and get an orchestra job, you have to get experience to be accepted for the audition! You never know who you are going to meet at what job. You never know who is going to be listening to what performance. So, play as often as you can and always be playing your very best!

Best of luck to you!

Follow Ups: