Re: After School...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on August 08, 2001 at 06:30:11:

In Reply to: After School... posted by Former Student?? on August 07, 2001 at 11:07:56:

I'm curious as to just what you mean, you want to play, "but that may not be a possibility at that time"(?) As a performance major, which is the more dangerous route to take towards being a full-time professional musician, you should work towards making playing professionally being a high probability, not just a possibility. I went the performance route in the latter 1970's, and found that one of my strong points was doubling. When I graduated in 1979 there were 75 people auditioning for the Jacksonville Symphony, which did not pay a living wage. That was the ONLY audition for tuba advertised in the International Musician at that time. So, I took an option many people overlook. I took a free, no-obligation audition at the nearest U.S. Army Band, read the contract offered, and signed up. So, for 22 years and one day, I've been full-time with great benefits, played a ton of tuba and doubled a lot, too. When I've done sub work in a symphony orchestra, basically their work schedule and gripes were similar. Something to think about . . .
-Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: