Re: The detriments of playing tuba in HS

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jared on August 08, 2001 at 14:09:20:

In Reply to: The detriments of playing tuba in HS posted by Kraft on August 08, 2001 at 12:37:26:

It's true that musicality is not common in the average High school tuba player. Being a tuba player for two years, I've improved drastically from barely even being able to play a note. The main reason for that I think is because I've had a great teacher I could listen to and imitate, and my brother is a music major who gets me tuba cd's for cheap. The point is, the more a tuba player listens to good tuba (music), the better he/she will be able to sound. One of my fellow tubists asked me to give him a lesson, and it was obvious he din't know what a tuba should sound like. I let him borrow some tuba cd's and he had improved the next time I heard him play. I think the concept of sound is the most important thing to developing musicality. Also, playing all kinds of music (from extreme marcato to legato and slurring) that is fun to play will encourage practicing. And the more you practice the better you get.

-aspiring tubist

Follow Ups: