Re: Re: purchasing a CC...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on August 08, 2001 at 14:38:50:

In Reply to: Re: purchasing a CC... posted by John Swensen on August 08, 2001 at 10:16:34:

I've only had my Nirschl York for a year and a half so I'm still learning what it can do. What I do know is that when I bought this horn, my conception of its uses was as a large 6/4 style tuba. For me, that means I would pull this horn out occasionally for those really big works where a huge sound would be ideal. What I've learned since buying and using the horn is that it is quite a bit more versatile than I had ever imagined. I find myself using this horn more and more, almost to the total exclusion of my 4/4 Rudy CC.

My theory on this is that I developed as a player using a 4/4 CC tuba. The reality of using one of those horns (for me at least) was that I needed a horn that would do lots of different things. As a result, to me big sound meant loud sound because that's how you get a really big sound on a smaller horn that tends to project in a more focused manner. The advantage a big (6/4) horn has in playing loud is the ability of the player to just relax and put good quality signal into the mouthpiece and let that big tubing do the work. You understand the difference? To get that same size of sound on a 4/4 tuba (this is my experience), I had to work lots harder and really push the air. As a result, my conception of a big sound was somewhat harsh. Learning to play big on the Nirschl has refined my whole concept of loud playing to the point that I now know how not to force the volume. This allows my Rudy 4/4 to have a much better sound because I don't have to push the volume when I use it. Conversely, I use the Nirschl much more and I find that the Nirschl's louder sound is much easier to listen to and control which makes it easier to use in more situations. Further, the Nirschl has incredible response at the mouthpiece, something I hadn't expected from a big 6/4 horn, and as a result it is the easiest horn to play that I own.

At this point I still believe there are limits. I haven't/wouldn't use the Nirschl in chamber music. In fact, I've been experimenting with different mouthpieces in an attempt to turn my Rudy into my quintet horn. Same with solos, there are very few pieces I can envision playing on the Nirschl even though I really love the sound. I'm still keeping that determination open to debate. But most ensemble playing is very well suited to the Nirschl and I find myself using the Nirschl for most everything except the typical bass tuba works and the occasional Stravinsky type work.

Adding all that up, I guess I'd have to say that the Nirschl York is probably not a really good choice as your only instrument. I would still have to put it in the same category as the Yorkbrunners, MW-2165s, and others that have a big, wonderful sound that is just too big for smaller applications. However, the Nirschl doesn't miss by much. I know I was shocked at just how easy it is to use this horn for everything, much more so than other 6/4 tubas I've tried. Depending on the player, this horn can cover a lot of ground very effectively.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: