Re: Re: Re: question from a non-tubist

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on August 09, 2001 at 14:35:31:

In Reply to: Re: Re: question from a non-tubist posted by Jayson Devries on August 09, 2001 at 13:58:05:

I'm glad to hear that he is getting the proper training. And I think he is incredibly lucky to be playing on pro equipment this early in his education.

I've been waiting for someone from one of the Ceremonial Bands to weigh in--those guys play sousaphone outdoors for a living, and still must maintain their professional standards on CC tubas. The fellow who owns this list is one such professional.

The issue of how to treat an unusually gifted musician in a school band is a big one, and it extends well beyond the sousaphone issue. Larger districts often have a arts magnet school that provides an environment for such students that removes them from these sorts of issues. In Houston, for example, it's the High School for the Performing and Visual Arts, of which I'm sure you are aware. So it is possible for a band director at a regular school in Houston to demand all his players to be in the marching band--the real pro-bound players are at a different school. (The value of such segregation in the larger issues of learning how to get along in the world I'll leave for another day.)

You don't have that option, but you might be able to simulate it, if your district gives you the leeway. You might be able to establish standards such that the truly gifted musician can qualify to avoid marching band if he or she chooses to do so, but he must spend the time others in the band spend marching doing something that contributes to his improvement. For example, he may take on a specific and challenging task that he can do in the band room during marching practice, such as preparing a recital for performance at the school or some such, under the supervision of you and his private teacher. But I think to qualify for such consideration, a student must pass some very high standard that can be codified even if it is subjective (such as the judgement of a panel of professional musicians). The other players would see that doing this doesn't get the student out of work, and they also have the choice for themselves if they can measure up. This would mirror the process of being accepted into a school like HSPVA.

Also, I know a band director at another small-town Texas high school who is himself a pro-quality tubist, and he may have some insight into this issue. If you are interested, email me and I will connect you with him, but I must ask him first.

Rick "hoping the student in question appreciates how lucky he is" Denney

Follow Ups: